Moultrie 990i Review
No glow cameras are the new gold standard in trail cameras. You could snap a photo of a person walking by in the middle of the night and chances are they would never even know it is there! As they continue to be in high demand, the race is on to develop the best on the market for the lowest price available on the market. I think the Moultrie 990i has really hit the mark.
- 10 MP resolution
- Trigger speed is less than 1 second
- Recovery time is 2/12 seconds. (That’s 24 pics a minute!)
- HD video capability with sound
- Detection range is 50 feet
- No Glow Infrared has no visible flash, and a range of 70 ft.
- Illumi-Night sensor works with flash to clarify night pictures
- 2-inch color preview screen, simplifies aiming, checking pictures and programming. Digital zoom function allows you to examine pics even further (up to 3x)
- Camo casing
- Password protected
- Runs on 8 AA batteries
- Up to 9,500 pics on one set of batteries. Note: Use of video will drastically reduce this
- Compatible with external power sources (not included)
- Python® cable compatible (cable not included)
- Threaded inserts for game camera mounts
- Battery consumption is a bit high
- Night photos and video are grainy. (It has to be mentioned, but there really isn’t a night camera that produces night photos any better.
Check out this sample photo:
The trigger and recovery speed and the detection zone in this camera would blow your mind if you paid twice as much money! This is a feature rich camera, offering top of the line quality for a respectable price. You pay more for this than some of the other models I have reviewed, but what you get for the extra money is worth every penny.
Here is what a couple of owners had to say about the Moultrie M-990i:
Great camera with clear photos when considering that the pictures that are taken in the dark are so good. The camera does not scare any wildlife and that is important…
I am using this camera for security in our back alley. While most cannot pick up license plates this camera has the ability to do so. Pictures are outstanding, and the trigger is set so that most traffic is caught. The no flash feature allows the camera to go undetected…
This gamecam has a trigger and recovery time that are sure to catch even the briefest of trail activities on your property. Time-lapse mode makes it good for food plot applications as well. This is an extremely versatile, feature-rich offering from Moultrie.
The infrared flash produces a subtle red glow, despite being called “invisible”. But compared to other infrared models, it is invisible. This helps to not spook the animals or disclose location to thieves, but also helps to prolong the flashes’ duration.
It offers the same moon phase; camera ID, date and time stamp as the other models, but adds a barometric pressure stamp. You can easily view photos out in the field with the 2-inch color-viewing screen that even allows you to zoom in up to 3x. The HD video option with sound to help you identify all animals in the surrounding area.
Overall, I think that you will not be disappointed with the 990i. It stands up to cameras that cost at least twice as much and practically fits in your pocket! Incredible value for the money!